Come and Worship
July 4, 2021
Come and Worship
The Psalmist Invites Us to Worship
Worship – reverent devotion and allegiance pledged to God.
The early Christian worship focused on God’s saving work in Jesus Christ. This alone should give us joy and thanksgiving.
The basis of worship is obedience (Isaiah 1:19; Exodus 34:4; 35:5: Phil. 2:8)
God wants honest worship. How can a person have honest worship when he or she disobeyed God? God does not want a fake worship. He wants a prepared and willing heart to worship Him.
Individual worship should be an important component of our lives. We should be in the context of holiness at all times. Our hearts and minds should stay on Jesus. Move self out of the way and get fired up for Jesus. You should honestly say, “I’m fired up and I’m ready to go. Show emotion and demonstrate passion.
Also, Corporate worship is an important part of our lives. It has an evangelistic appeal. Unbelievers hear the passion of your voice or see the sincerity on your face and (they may be changed). Move self out of the way and get fired up for Jesus. You should honestly say, “I’m fired up and I’m ready to go”. Show emotion and demonstrate passion.
In our worship experience, God is in the business of changing faces. Moses, face was changed when he came down from Mount Sinai. (Exodus 34:29-30.) Jesus, face was changed on the mountain (Mat. 17:2). This change is God’s job.
The Psalmist’s Calls Reveal Three Dimensions of Worship
1. “O come, let us sing unto the Lord”
2. “Let us come before his presence with thanksgiving”
3. “O come, let us worship and bow down”
MUSIC WORSHIPS THE LORD
A. An invitation to sing to the LORD
1. Singing has always been an important part of worship
2. Songs tell the story of changed lives and deep dedication
B. Joyful singing honors the LORD
1. We sing to the Rock of our salvation
2. Worship songs focus on the cross and resurrection
C. We’ll worship the LORD in song when we get to heaven (Rev. 5:9-10)
1. These songs will be about redemption by the blood of Christ
2. They will focus on the miracle of personal salvation
THANKSGIVING WORSHIPS THE LORD
A. Thanksgiving flows from grateful hearts
1. Remembering God’s provision promotes thankfulness
2. We are to be constantly aware of God’s blessings (Ps. 103)
B. Thankfulness moves us to worship the Provider
1. Giving thanks during worship increases contentment
2. Focusing on what God has given drives the blues away
C. We cannot worship and worry at the same time
1. Worshipping turns our thoughts to thankful praise
2. Thanksgiving in worship demonstrates to God how grateful we are
REVERENCE WORSHIPS THE LORD
A. Worship may include bowing down
1. “Let us kneel before the LORD our Maker”
2. Humility in worship honors the LORD
B. We must adore the LORD with humility. We must come to God joyfully, but not proudly.
We should come to church with a worship-hungry heart!