GOD IS THE DIFFERENCE MAKER
1 Corinthians 1 : 26 - 31
Introduction: God wants to be the difference maker in our lives. There is something that makes the difference between:
Victory and Defeat
Life and Death
Prosperity and Poverty
Success and Failure
Health and Sickness
The question is "What makes a difference?" Today we will see that the difference is in the difference maker! The Difference was made when we realize we aren't the Difference Maker!
You have heard it before..."If you believe it, you can achieve it," "You can be and do whatever you want as long as you put your mind to it." It is nothing wrong with this attitude, positive thinking and determination are very valuable. it is important that those things are a reflection of our faith in Christ, and not ourselves.
There is nothing . . .absolutely nothing that we can do in and of ourselves that has eternal value. Only that which we do through Christ makes a difference eternally. God is the Difference Maker through His Son, Jesus the Christ! There are many examples in the Word of God where it is obvious that the difference was made by a divine power not of this world.
In our lesson today, God is the Difference Maker as he Calls some people to follow Jesus.
GOD CALLS THE FOOLISH
God chooses the "foolish things [people] of this world to confound the wise."
Note the term "foolish things" is used instead of foolish people." Many of
the wise in the world look upon those who have little or nothing as things.
They look upon them as nothing more than tools for the rich and powerful to
use as they wish. God chooses the ignorant, the unlearned, and the
disadvantaged over the wise of the world. Why? To "confound"
(kataischune) the. The word means to shame.
God is the Difference Maker!
A. He called foolish Zacchaeus.
1. Zacchaeus had lived only for what he could accumulate.
2. His main goal in life was to become wealthy.
3. He had cheated others to get ahead.
4. He was called down from the sycamore tree to be saved.
a. Zacchaeus was short, and we've all fallen short.
b. "He was a come shorter". See Rom. 3:23
B. God called foolish Jonah, who tried to run away from Him.
1. Many are still trying to run away from God.
2. How foolish to think we can escape God's call.
C. He called the foolish to wisdom and eternal life, because He is the
GOD CALLS THE WEAK
God chooses "the weak things of the world to confound the things which are
mighty." By weak is meant those without position, influence, or wealth. The
weak are less important, the insignificant, the dispensable (unneeded). It is a
person without any authority or influence whatsoever.
A. He called the prodigal son.
1. The young man was so weak, he was out of control.
2. He was so weak, he squandered his inheritance.
3. He was so weak, he gave in to bad company.
B. God has called weak people to do mighty things.
1. D.L. Moody was untrained, but brought many to Christ.
2. You were weak, but God was the Difference Maker!
C. Why does God use nobodies?
1. It shows His power to change lives.
2. Thus, people will see the miracle and turn to Christ.
GOD CALLS THE BASE AND THE DESPISED
Good chooses the base things and the things which are despised. Again,
note that people are looked upon as "things" and not as persons. The base
are in contrast to those who are in the upper class of society. The base and
the despised would include the lower classes of society: lowly, the
contemptible, ignoble, the vile, the criminal, the immoral, the depraved, etc.
It is such people that God chooses instead of the upper classes of society.
God is the Difference Maker!
A. He called the woman at the well to reach her town.
1. She had been married five times and was now living with one not her
2. Christ gave her living water and quenched her spiritual thirst.
3. She brought others to find the Savior.
B. He called harlots and leper, to the amazement of the Pharisees.
C. He's still calling outcasts to salvation because of His love.
GOD IS THE DIFFERENCE MAKER! DID HE MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN YOUR LIFE?