SERMON SERIES: IT'S TIME TO GROW UP
BOOK OF COLOSSIANS
MESSAGE 3: GOD'S GREAT PLAN FOR GROWTH
Colossians 2: 6 - 7
Introduction: The great need of the New Testament Church is to have mature believers, people who are consistently growing in the Lord. The word consistent is to be noted: a mature people are consistent in all they do. They are consistently growing in the Lord. One of the great tragedies of today's society is the lack of consistency. Few people are consistent in their daily walk with God.
Believing is just the beginning.
1. Salvation begins with believing.
2. Faith opens the door to eternal life.
Grace and Faith make multiplied miracles possible.
1. Grace and Faith are unearned gifts from God Eph. 2:8-9.
2. These great gifts make Christian growth a normal experience.
IMAGINE OUR CHURCH
FILLED WITH GROWING CHRISTIANS
A. Visualize this congregation on the move for God.
1. See a company of Christians without bitterness and anger.
2. Imagine a church full of people who care for the lost.
3. Think of the difference we could make in the community.
B. How can this miracle take place?
1. We must get back to beginnings.
2. "As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord."
3. This was Paul's call to return to the starting place.
4. "So walk ye in him" v. 6.
C. Let faith soar and the best will be yet to come.
PAUL'S CALL FOR GROWING
IN THREE DIRECTIONS
A. Growing through walking like Jesus. v. 6.
1. Christ is our perfect example.
2. Walking like Jesus will draw others to Him.
B. Growing through being rooted in Jesus v. 7.
1. Increasing daily in our knowledge of Him.
2. Choosing to follow His example.
C. Growing daily: being established in the faith.
DEMONSTRATING GROWTH THROUGH
A. We should be ever praising, never pouting.
1. We are to demonstrate faith, not fear.
2. We are to be glorying in grace, not grumbling and growling.
B. We should be always triumphant, never troubled over trifles.
C. Christians should be the most positive people on earth.
D. Our walk should be overflowed with thanksgiving.