JESUS IS TEACHING ON THE NIGHT SHIFT
Introduction: Are you one of those people who think about the deep questions of life at night when the hustle and bustle of the day is over? For many people nighttime is an opportunity to reflect on life.
Today our journey takes us to a meeting that happened at night. In John 3:1-2 we see that a Pharisee named Nicodemus came to visit Jesus at night. We have two logical reasons why Nicodemus chose the night shift:
1. He was a ruler of the Jews and was afraid of the implications of associating
openly in conversation with Jesus.
2. He wanted uninterrupted time with Jesus.
I want to eavesdrop on this conversation between the Lord Jesus and Nicodemus today. I want us to hear for ourselves the great truths Jesus shared with this man. You see, Nicodemus came to Jesus on the night shift for some answers about religion, what he received were some answers about redemption. He came to Jesus with questions about Jesus. He went away with more knowledge about Jesus and about himself that he could have ever imagined. He came to Jesus that night to ask some questions about life. He left with information about the new birth. Let us listen as the teacher gets taught on the night shift.
On the night shift Nicodemus has the opportunity to converse with Jesus on a personal not. He will have to shift his opinion about how-to be saved on the night shift. We have three movements to help us with, "JESUS IS TEACHING ON THE NIGHT SHIFT."
SALVATION CANNOT BE INHERITED
A. Nicodemus grapples with the thought of new birth.
1. How can a man be born when he is old?
2. Can a man return to his mother's womb and be born?
B. Many think eternal life comes through family ties.
1. They have been born into respected families.
2. They have been taught the basic of the Bible.
C. Jesus begins to unravel the mystery.
1. "That which is born of the flesh is flesh."
2. "That which is born of the Spirit is spirit."
Jesus is teaching on the night shift.
SALVATION COMES THROUGH A NEW BIRTH
A. This new birth transcends religious opinions.
1. This should not surprise us.
2. Jesus told Nicodemus he should not marvel at it.
B. Religious background has nothing to do with salvation.
1. Nicodemus was a religious man, but he was lost.
2. He must shift his confidence from works to grace.
Jesus is teaching a lesson on salvation to a Pharisee on the night shift.
SALVATION IS ATTAINED BY FAITH ALONE
A. Those who believe in Him will not perish.
B. Nicodemus knew nothing of this kind of assurance.
1. He was very religious but lost.
2. Now Jesus assures him he can be saved.
3. His salvation will be by faith in Christ.
C. What great relief this must have brought to Nicodemus.
D. The same salvation is available to every sinner today.
Responsive Reading: John 3:1-15