May 14, 2023
Mother Day’s Sermon
THE INFLUENCE OF A MOTHER’S FAITH
2 Timothy 1:5
A man came home from work one afternoon and found his three small children outside, still in their pajamas, playing in the mud. Some of their toys were scattered across the lawn and on the driveway. The door of his wife’s car was wide open, and so was the front door of their house.
Surprised at this, he rushed inside and was confronted with evidence of complete disarray. A lamp had been knocked over. The TV was loudly blaring on a cartoon channel, and the family room was littered with toys and children’s clothing.
He went into the kitchen. The sink was filled with dirty dishes, breakfast food had been spilled on the counter, the refrigerator door was open, and dog food was scattered all over the floor.
Very concerned now, and fearing the worst, he frantically began looking for his wife, heading up the stairs, stepping over toys and more piles of clothes as he went. He was worried she might be ill, or that something serious had happened to her.
Rushing into their bedroom, he saw her. Still in her pajamas, she lay there curled up on their bed, reading a novel. She looked up, smiled at him, and asked him how his day had been.
Completely bewildered, he looked at her and asked, ‘What happened here today?’ Again, she smiled and then answered, ‘you know, every day when you come home from work, you ask me what in the world I do all day long?’ ‘Yes,’ he said.
She answered, ‘Well, today I didn’t do it.’ (Adapted – SC)
Here are some sayings I thought would be appropriate for Mother’s Day:
· My Mother taught me LOGIC – She asked: if anyone else jumped off a cliff would you do it too?”
· My Mother taught me MEDICINE – She said, “If you don’t stop crossing your eyes, they’re going to freeze that way.”
· My Mother taught me how to BECOME AN ADULT – “She said, “If you don’t eat your vegetables, you’ll never grow up.”
· My Mother taught me about GENETICS - She constantly said, “You are just like your father!”
· My Mother taught me about the WISDOM of AGE – She said,” When you get to be my age, you will understand.”
· My Mother taught me about ANTICIPATION – She just wait until your father gets home.”
· My Mother taught me about JUSTICE – She said, “One day you will have kids, and I hope they turn out just like you. Then you’ll see what it’s like!”
· And the all-time favorite, My Mother taught me about REASONING - She would say, “Just because I said so that’s all the reason that you need.”
Thinking of my experiences with my mom and understanding the responsibilities my wife has. I can truly say that I am doubly blessed to have two good women in my life. God has equipped good mothers and wives with things that we cannot see in others.
· Mothers have x-ray eyes that can see through walls and doors where the children are playing or are being especially quiet and are able to tell just what is going on.
· Mothers have, although you can’t see it, more than one set of hands, so that she can do many things for the family all at one time.
· Mothers have big hearts that allow her to love her family no matter what. Mothers know that their kitchen utensils are probably in the backyard instead of the drawer. Mothers often have sticky floors, filthy ovens, and happy kids.
· Mothers have the energy of a nuclear reactor that appears to never get tired, because she can work all day at a job, fight traffic to get home, and when she gets home, she miraculously transforms into a cook, teachers, chauffeur, maid, and wife. Like the commercial used to say, she can bring home the bacon and fry it up in a pan.
· Mothers are doctor and nurses without ever going to medical school, because she knows how to kiss the hurt away and nurse a weak man back to health.
· Mothers are ministers that keeps the family before the throne of God, and she constantly intercedes for wayward family members.
The influence of a mother’s faith!
1. Mothers of Faith Have Changed the Course of History
A. The mother of Moses spared the great deliverer's life.
B. The mother of Samuel dedicated him to the Lord before his birth.
C. The mother of John and Charles Wesley gave birth to a revival.
2. Who Was the mother of Eunice?
A. Lois, her name means Desirable, a devout Christian.
B. Lois brought faith to her daughter, Eunice.
C. Eunice, her name means Good Victory, brought faith to her son,
Timothy, who became a blessing to Paul.
3. Faithful Mothers Start Chain Reactions of Faith.
THE INFLUENCE OF A MOTHER’S FAITH
I. A MOTHER’S FAITH MAY SPREAD TO HER CHILDREN
A. We do not know when Lois came to faith in Christ.
B. We do know that at some point she knew Him as Savior.
1. She understood she was a sinner.
2. She grasped the concept of grace.
3. She responded in faith to God's love.
C. We know Lois' faith was genuine (unfeigned).
D. We know that she shared her faith with her daughter.
E. Eunice saw Christ in her mother and believed.
F. What are you doing to win your children to Christ?
II. A MOTHER’S FAITH MAY SPREAD TO HER GRANDCHILDREN
A. Eunice gave birth to Timothy.
1. Undoubtedly Lois and Eunice had high hopes for Timothy at his birth.
2. The meaning of the name that Eunice gave her son is "honoring
B. How would these two women reach young Timothy?
1. They did so by demonstrating genuine faith in their lives.
2. They did so by their prayers, examples, and teaching.
3. This is still how we reach those we love for Christ.
C. Grandparents are special people to grandchildren.
D. Lois and Eunice succeeded in bringing Timothy to Christ.
E. Paul became God's answer to their prayers by leading Timothy to
faith in Jesus.
III. A MOTHER’S FAITH MAY SPREAD TO FUTURE GENERATIONS
A. Timothy became Paul's companion in ministry.
1. Paul's letters to Timothy still spread the faith.
2. Timothy preached at Berea, spreading the faith.
3. Timothy preached in Corinth and Macedonia, spreading the faith.
4. Timothy preached to Ephesus and Rome, spreading the faith.
B. Through Timothy's life, Lois is still spreading the faith today.
1. What a thrilling thought for every mother and grandmother.
2. A Christian mother's influence is unlimited.
1. A MOTHER’S FAITH MAY SPREAD TO HER CHILDREN
2. A MOTHER’S FAITH MAY SPREAD TO HER GRANDCHILDREN
3. A MOTHER’S FAITH MAY SPREAD TO FURURE GENERATIONS
Responsive Reading: 2 Timothy 1: 1-7