WHY JESUS IS ALL WE NEED
MARCH 21, 2021
WHY JESUS IS ALL WE NEED
Colossians 2:9 - 12
In every generation there have been those who have tried to convince believers that something should be added to Jesus Christ. It is amazing how easy it is for intelligent people to be led astray. Followers of false teachers stand on streets and in other public places selling flowers or passing our literature. Many of them give up all their worldly possessions to follow some "guru" who claims to have special revelation from God. We see cults build astonishing empires by mentally enslaving people through brainwashing, making it almost impossible for them to escape.
How can we protect ourselves and those we love from being drawn into such cultic, enslaving philosophies? The answer is to understand that "Jesus is all we need."
HE IS ALL WE NEED TO KNOW ABOUT GOD
A. Paul makes this clear by saying in Col. 2:9, "For in Him dwells all the fullness of the "Godhead bodily.
1. The Greek word translated fullness means "the sum total."
2. Everything God is, He is in Jesus Christ.
3. If there is anything you want to know about God, look to Jesus Christ.
B. Colossians 2:9 blasts the very foundation of all false teachings and cults.
C. The Bible clearly teaches that everything we need to know about God is revealed through his Son.
HE IS ALL WE NEED FOR SALVATION
A. Paul says in Colossians 2:10, and you are complete in Him.
1. The word translated complete was used to describe a ship Totally outfitted and made ready for a voyage.
2. When we receive Christ as Savior, we are not everything weShould be and can be, but we do have everything we need for life's spiritual voyage.
B. Paul says in Col. 2:11, "In Him you were also circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body of the sins of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ."
1. Circumcision was never intended to be part of salvation even
in the Old Testament, but only to be symbolic of God's Covenant.
2. First, Circumcision symbolized the faith of a man and his
Family in God.
3. Second, circumcision symbolized the cutting away of the Body of sins" that were in the flesh.
4. Physical circumcision was never intended to save anyone.
5. It is the circumcision made without hands that saves.
C. Paul continues in Colossians 2:12, buried with Him in baptism, In which you also were raised with Him"....baptism has been Confused as a part of salvation in our day much like
Circumcision in Paul’s day. Physical circumcision in the OT is what physical baptism is in the NT. In the OT, circumcision identified one as a part of God's covenant family, just as baptism does in the NT.
D. Baptism is only an outward, physical symbol or picture of an Inner spiritual truth (Rom. 6:4).
E. Just as there are two kind of circumcision, physical and spiritual, there are two kinds of baptism, physical and spiritual.
F. Salvation comes exclusively through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead (2:12).
Conclusion: The same power that raised Jesus Christ from the dead saves and changes us. Just as God raised Jesus, so He spiritually raises from the dead those who trust in Christ. We do not need to add circumcision, good deeds, baptism, or anything else to Him Jesus is all we need for salvation.